Isla Tigre is a large Ngobe community where we have drilled wells over the past three years. During this particular project, we drilled one well near an existing well that is used by many families. A queue of people would line up to use the well, so we drilled a second one nearby to lessen the wait time. On the other side of the island, we installed a water storage tank with a gutter system for rainwater catchment. The water tank serves a church and the surrounding homes. Isla Tigre is the birthplace of our Ngobe Field Trainer, Simon. Since Simon has many relatives on Isla Tigre, he has tried to encourage them to use well water instead of creek water. About 75% of the homes near a well are using the borehole well for drinking water while the other 25% continue to use their creek water. With the ministry side of the process, Simon has given out bibles to all of the homes and shared a bible class for a family who requested to learn more about the bible.
We built and installed a simple Canzee pump out of PVC. In the end we were able to install a working, simple pump that the women and children were are able to use. We were surprised at the type of soil we found here. We expected the water table to be much shallower. The soil here had lots of hard clay. It is also somewhat expensive here for resources, costing approximately $375 to dig, build, and establish a pump and well system. But, the items we bought were some of the best supplies that I have found in Africa. The PVC was very thick and strong, and of high quality. With Patrick and Revelier being permanent fixtures there, I truly believe that more pumps will be built.
This website has been optimized for users of the United States. For people outside of the United States, please select your region to increase your downloading speed significantly.
Thank you for in advance for visiting Hydromissions. It is our mission to provide clean water and spread the word of God.